Around old Burbage

Book written by John D. Naughton on the brief History of Burbage in Leicestershire.





Page 2


the cock inn, cock hill the toll house, hinckley road
These houses were built on an area of land marked on old maps as The Cock'. They were built in the late 18th century and occupied until they were demolished in 1962.

The Toll House (right/bottom) stood facing the bottom of Cock Hill (where Burbage Road, Hinckley Road and Sapcote Road converge). To many newcomers to the area it is now the Burbage Turn. The Toll House was demolished in the early 1900s.

I was interested to see in records dated 1759, the following charges:

Hire of two horses - £0-2-0
Corn and Hay for two horses’ - £0-0-10
Paid at Toll Gate for two horses - £0-0-2
Gave Ostler (Stableman) - £0-0-7


looking down hinckley road
Looking down Hinckley Road from the C. of E. Infant School (now the Church Hall), children play cricket in safety, the only transport in sight being three cycles in the distance. The row of houses on the right was known as Grassland's Row. The Iway Hosiery factory now stands on this site. The first cottage on the left was Garner's sweet shop.


st.catherines church, church street south aisle and chancel
The photograph (left/top) shows the Church from the North side. In 1912 extensive repair work was carried out to the Tower and Spire.

The view inside the Church (right/bottom) was taken before 1917. The inscription above the Chancel arch reads 'Behold what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us that we should be called the Sons of God.' These inscriptions were over every archway in the Nave, but were covered over soon after 1917. Note the gas light chandeliers in the South Aisle and Chancel.


the bells that were taken down in the early 1920s. the bells after being recast.
The five Bells date from 1701-1761 and were taken down in the early 1920s to be recast at Taylor's Bell Foundry at Lough-borough. In the photograph are (from left to right): W. Wightman, C. Wightman, S. Ginns, Rev R. D. H. Pughe, Mrs Ginns, E. Campton, Miss M. Archer, A. Robinson, W. Dudley and representatives of Taylor's. (left/top)

After being recast, the original five bells were returned with an additional three bells. They were re-hung on 20th August, 1925. The photograph (right/bottom) shows from left to right: E. Gent, T. Robinson (People's Warden), Mrs Pughe, Rev Pughe and S. H. Pilgrim (Rector's Warden).


Join Facebook Group