Around old Burbage

Book written by John D. Naughton on the brief History of Burbage in Leicestershire.





Page 4


the old rectory the old rectory
The Old Rectory is believed to have been built about the turn of the 19th century. When it was privately owned it was called Moat House, taking its name from the dry moat which is still visible from Grove Road. It is interesting to note that the old Rectory had a large wine cellar with an open-ducted spring running through it. The top photograph shows the Rev Fletcher with members of his family on the Rectory lawn. Below, we see him receiving the morning mail from Mr Oliver, one of the Hinckley postmen. Both photographs were taken before the First World War.


the rectory cottages in new road the rectory cottages along new road
The Rectory Cottages stood in New Road approximately between the two entrance roads to Moat House. They were occupied by families in service to the various Rectors. At the turn of the century the well-known Burbage family of Tunnicliffe were in service to the Rev Fletcher until his death in 1916. The next incumbent was the Rev R. D. H. Pughe and the family in service to him were Mr and Mrs Jones, the last occupants of the cottages.


village green in church street
The Village Green in Church Street just after the turn of the century. On the right is Mr John Carrigan's Newsagent and Tobacconist Shop.


church street in the 1920s john carrigans newsagents in church street
Church Street in the 1920's with the Post Officer front right in the picture. The children play unhindered by traffic in the main road through the village.

John Carrigan's Newsagent and Tobacconist Shop in Church Street (Est 1881). A most popular shop in its day, selling anything from postcards to push bikes.


the horsepool timber framed buildings
These charming timber framed cottages stood in Church Street opposite Horsepool House. An indication as to the date in which they were built is the year 1690 carved into one of the beams.

The Croft, Church Street, was built for George Greenway in the 1780s. He was a maltster by trade, and also one of the Overseers of the Poor for Burbage. In those days The Croft was known as The Roebuck Inn. It was a posting house for coaches en route from London to Derby and Nottingham.

There is a considerable amount of timber framing in one particular area of the house and it is believed that cottages of an earlier period stood on the site and were incorporated within the construction of the Roebuck Inn. During 1858 the licence was moved from these premises to the house adjoining Tong Lodge in Church Street. This was still called the Roebuck, but was a tavern and not an inn. In an open space in front of the Roebuck Inn was a large pool where coach drivers would take the horses to drink and cool down after their long journey.

The area at the lower end of Church Street takes its name from that pool (The Horsepool). The pool became filled in over the years but was excavated again by the present owner.


Join Facebook Group