Around old Burbage

Book written by John D. Naughton on the brief History of Burbage in Leicestershire.





Page 5


congregational chapel lychgate lane horsepool house, church street
The first Congregational Chapel in Burbage, built in 1815 and demolished in the early 1890's. By 1894 the building of the present Chapel was started. Since the rebuilding date a number of structural alterations have been made which can clearly be seen when comparing the above photograph with the present building. The present Chapel is built largely of local brick made by William Wheelock, whose kiln was in Lychgate Lane Horsepool House, Church Street.

This area has changed very little since this photograph was taken in the early years of this century. There is possibly one structural change to the frontage of the Congregational Chapel, whilst other minor differences are iron railings taken down for the war effort, and new windows fitted to some houses.

This truly old fashioned village shop, two doors away from the Congregational Chapel, was said to be one of the neatest shops in Burbage and a pleasure to do business there.


old fashioned village shop church street and the horsepool
This truly old fashioned village shop, two doors away from the Congregational Chapel, was said to be one of the neatest shops in Burbage and a pleasure to do business there.

General view of Church Street and The Horsepool at the turn of the century showing once again the wide and empty road winding its way up towards the Church in the distance. Note that Chestnut Villa was not yet built to the left of Horsepool House (centre) and that the shops on the right are now private houses.


top of lychgate lane burbage smithies
These beautiful cottages once stood at the top of Lychgate Lane (familiarly known as Lickett Lane to locals). Although perhaps not an architect's idea of good design or beauty they were to villagers a part of old Burbage. However, conservation was not in time to save them, so in the 1960's they were pulled down and the present Library now stands on the site.

The last of the Burbage Smithies stood where is now situated Tilley's Garage near the top of Lychgate Lane. The last horse was shod there in 1948, when the forge went out for the last time. In this picture we see (left to right) Mr Harold Holyoak, whose family were blacksmiths in Burbage for many years, Mr Reeves of Burbage fixing a shoe, and Mr Lissaman, of Sharnford.


lodge houses to burbage house burbage house
The Lodge houses to Burbage House, taken on 26th December, 1904 when a record rime frost was recorded. They have not been occupied for many years and are at present undergoing extensive renovation.

Burbage House, built around 1812. This very large Gothic styled mansion was on many occasions the meeting place for village events, and at this large gathering the Hunt was meeting, and they would no doubt drink their stirrup cup before setting off. The Burbage House we see in this picture was demolished in 1935 and the present one erected.


the 1815 burbage wesley chapel Mrs Langham and her daughter, Alice
The first Wesley Chapel was erected in Burbage in 1815 and a schoolroom was added in 1850. However, there have been many changes over the years, the latest being the main body of the Chapel in 1866.

Standing in the doorway of her house is Mrs Langham and her daughter, Alice. The house was one of a row in Windsor Street, almost opposite Freemans Lane, which were occupied until the 1960's.


windsor street looking towards lychgate lane
Windsor Street, looking towards Lychgate Lane. The first house on the left with the sign over the door was Wightmans, shoemaker. A few yards down can be seen the large sandstone pillars which stood at the drive leading to the Wesley Chapel (Methodist Church). A little further down is the Crown Inn, which stood at the end of Wesley Walk and is now the area of the Bull's Head car park. Beyond this where the house juts out to form a new line was Foster's Bakery and two village pumps.


Join Facebook Group