In 1890 there used to be a three story house at No.10 Wood Street that was converted in to Hinckleys first Cottage Hospital, it had just four beds and two cots. In 1896 the hospital was moved to a rented house on the South-East corner of Hill Street
4th July 1896 Hinckley's first Cottage Hospital was officially opened.
|Hinckley Cottage Hospital along Mount Road|
1897 A decision was made to build a new Cottage Hospital in Hinckley which was to be along Mount Road, it would be built to commemorate Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee.
At a meeting by the new hospital commitee (chairman was Mr. T. Aucott) held at the old Hinckley Grammar School it was decided that a local firm of architects should be used. The contract was won by John Wigg at a cost of between £1,300-£1,400. The hospital would be designed to have 14 beds, along with a day room, operating room, kitchen, pantries, larder and scullery.
Andrew Jeffcote (who later built The Odeon Cinema in The Borough) was the builder and the carpenter was Rowley and Co.
22nd June 1899 building started and the foundation stone was laid by Sir John Fowke Lancelot Rolleston JP at the corner of the southwest of the building. The Atkins Brothers (John Atkins, Thomas Atkins and Hugh Atkins) were founder-members.
8th November 1900 The new Cottage Hospital was opened by Mrs C.H. Alldridge of Sketchley Hall.
Upon entering the hospital, the first door on the left was the Matron's ward (measuring 28ft by 20ft). Opposite was the nurse's ward of a similar size. The private ward was next to the matron's ward, a bit further down the corridor was the day room. On the south side of the hospital was a larder/scullery etc. To the right of the entrance was an operating room as well as the kitchen and pantries. Between the operating room and kitchen there was a small corridor leading on to a yard the was on the east side of the building. The hospital had just two wards that could occupy up to fourteen patients.
|Nurses out side the front of the Hospital in early 1900s|
In 1905 a new laundry was added as well as three staff bedrooms which cost £644.
During 1907 The hospital had treated 189 patients.
From 1920 fund raising events were held to raise £12,000 for further extensions to the hospital.
July 1928 Lady Edge, wife of Sir William Edge (MP for Bosworth) opened the hospitals completed further developments which were: new women's ward, mortuary, X-ray suite, two additional private wards, children's ward, enlarged operating theatre, extension of the Accident Ward and additional staff bedrooms. This expansion gave the hospital a further 20 ward beds and came to an overall cost of £12,000.
1930 the opening of a new children ward which included eight cots and came fully equipped came to a cost of £250.
1936 Plans for further development to the hospital was submitted by the Architect William Keay of Leicester.
1937 A further women's ward was opened, which was to be called Verandah, this was part of a £26,000 development.
1938 more plans for further additional building work to be done which was to include: operating theatre, more wards and further alterations to be done for £25,000.
July of 1939 Lady Nutting (from Quenby Hall, Leicester) was to open the additional buildings. A patient was taken seriously ill in an opposite ward. The formal ceremony could not go ahead on the front lawn. The ceremony took place under the veranda of the women's ward at the rear of the hospital due to the addition of the rain as well.
|A view of the Mens Ward in 1905|
1940 further building work was done, a massage department was built.
1971 to 1972 the new £18,000 x-ray department was expanded which was paid for by donations and fund-raising.
9th November 1990 Castle Mead Radio began broadcasting to the patients and staff of the old Cottage Hospital as well as the Hinckley and Bosworth Community Hospital (Previously known as Sunnyside Isolation Hospital) which is situated along Ashby Road.
In present time the old Cottage Hospital forms part of what is now known as the Hinckley and District Hospital.
5th October 2015 A meeting with the CCG (West Leicestershire Clinical Commission Group) was held at Hinckley Golf Cub to let the public know that the Cottage Hospital could close due to the building being unfit for purpose.
22nd March 2016 at 1pm, Lynda Gibbs of Burbage led a demonstration to make the local people of Hinckley aware of what may happen. The ‘Save our Hinckley Cottage Hospital’ Action Group was formed.
Tip: Click on the i (top-left) on the photo viewer for a description of the photo.