|The George on the right, drawing by J.T.Burgess c.1840|
A former Coaching Inn with a stable yard entrance has been in existence since 1671 at 18 Market Place, Hinckley, Leicestershire.
1808 A new bowling-green was created in a close adjoining the George Inn.
1850 The George Inn was also the Parcel Receiving Office of the Trent Valley Railway and also contained the Inland Revenue Office.
1856 The George contained the Corn Exchange and later St. George's Hall. Before the construction of the post office in Regent Street, it acted as the post office.
1872 The landlord of The George was William Trivett. William was brought before the petty sessions charged with opening 'a kind of gin palace' in an adjoining building without obtaining the requisite license. During the proceedings a plan of The George by Robert Goodacre who was the architect of Leicester, the plan was produced. William asserted that he had only one bar, one commercial room and one dining room and although some alterations had taken place to link The George and the neighbouring building, this was an extension of the existing premises rather than the start of a new enterprise. The case against him ended up being dismissed.
|The George Inn being demolished in 1959|
1878 Until the court house was built in the town, The George was also used as a setting for the Petty Sessions in preference to the old Town Hall.
During 1959 the George Hotel was demolished. A new building was built on the same site, this was also to be called the George Hotel.
3rd June 1960 The new George Hotel opened. The interior of the hotel made a big impression with many members of the public who inspected it. Later The George would be renamed to The Bounty.
6th June 1986 There was a big fire at Bubbles nightclub, formerly St.George's Ballroom, in The Horsefair. The blaze caused £50,000 of damage. Firefighters from Hinckley, Nuneaton and Leicester were called to fight the blaze. The Bounty in the Market Place was also affected. Smoke poured in through a fire exit shared by The Bounty and Bubbles.
May 2014 The Bounty was reopened after being closed for 10 years by the Mayor of Hinckley and Bosworth, Councillor Lynda Hodgkins along with the new proprietor George Denny.
Tip: Click on the i (top-left) on the photo viewer for a description of the photo.