|The Manor House looking up Upper Bond Street c.1930|
The Manor House was located at No.2 Bond Street in Hinckley which was at the Junction of Hollycroft Hill and Upper Bond Street. The Manor House along with The Hall and Castle Hill House was one of Hinckley's three 'great houses.
1798 The Bond-end Horse-pool was filled up and the site was laid to the public street. The site was situated opposite the Mansion belonging to, and occupied by Thomas Sansome, esq., which had been the family residence of the Sansomes for many generations.
1809 Mr. Sansome took a great part of the house down and re-built it with stone. The offices and adjoining grounds being greatly improved and the gardens tastefully laid out, which converted it into an elegant and most delightful residence.
At the county record office, plans for a 'conversion of Manor House, Hinckley, to Sanitorium', by W.T.Grewcock of Leicester (who had done alterations to The Workhouse), dated November 1913. There are five sheets, which two are tracing paper sketches only. One drawing shows the Manor House before the proposed alterations (three storeys, cellar and site plan), and the others plans, elevations and sections of the proposed additions.
1932 The new Police Station was proposed to use the site of the Manor House which was being used as the Hinckley Tuberculosis Dispensary.
1936 The Manor House was finally demolished to make way for a Police Station.
|View from Upper Bond Street c.1930 (Top/Left), The L-shaped building shown on 1887 map (Bottom/Right)|