|Technical Institute (College)|
May 1927 Captain Ernest George Fowler of Leicester who was the county architect and who would go on to do the extensions of the Hinckley Grammar School in 1928. Captain Ernest attended the Hinckley Urban District Council committee concerned with the building of the Technical Institute, which was in response to a need to train those involved in the production of hosiery, boot and shoe industry.
The site along London Road was to be given free of charge by the Hinckley UDC to the County Council. The projected cost of the building was £9,000 with an additional £5,000 for the furnishings.
12-Nov-1930 The County Council accepted a tender of £9,885 from Walter Moss & Son of Coalville.
24-Sep-1931 The Technical Institute was opened to the public, the overall cost of the project came to about £12,000. The building is of standstock brick, with dressings in reconstructed Clipsham stone. The central pediment contains the County Arms carved in stone and the date of completion.
After World War II the Technical Institute College was extended on to the London Road site which was formerly occupied by the workhouse and in part utilising some of the workhouses old outbuildings. It was later renamed Hinckley College of Further Education.
It was eventually absorbed into a much larger institution of the North Warwickshire and Hinckley College, whose main site is on the Hinckley Road, Nuneaton, and which also has sites at Atherstone, Bedworth and Coleshill.
|View from London Road (left/top), Post-War Block c.1960s (right/bottom)|